Thursday, December 28, 2006

True Grit


I was thinking of writing on this topic for sometime after reading a couple of instances. Since I started analyzing the social life around me there a few things I have learnt. One of the most important is that winners have that extra bit of energy, effort in their undertakings. Few days back I read a quote from Muhammad Ali saying something along the lines that only those who have been to the bottom can understand the feeling of defeat and will give everything they have for success like a person lost in the desert looking for water.

The incidences that make me recall this are the performance of of Saurav Ganguly, death of a man in Oregon who was stranded with his family of four and the movie 'Miracle' not necessarily in that order.

Saurav isn't my favorite batsman, but I have admired his leadership skills and his competitive attitude as captain of Indian cricket team. I wasn't upset when Rahul Dravid was made captain but definitely didn't like the way Saurav was treated. Now when I read of his recent performances and in particular his attitude I respect him more. The comeback and the spirit shows what legends are made of though the batting is not exactly out of the world. Hats off Saurav and hope you keep on performing for India and bring home the elusive damsel 'the cricket worldcup 2007'.

The second story about a man who was stranded with his family in remote part of Oregon caught attention of the people in US. His story shows exemplary courage and love for family and what humans can do when stretched. This guy with his wife and 2 kids was lost in some remote part of Oregon and they exhausted the fuel and food with them. He went out 8+ miles leaving his family behind in the car in medium winter clothes under heavy snow to look for help. Unfortunately he died in the cold but his family was rescued.

Third story relates to the movie 'Miracle'. This movie is one of the best sports movies I have seen. It is a real story of US ice hockey triumph in the winter olympics of 1980 defeating the all time best USSR team. It's a classic underdog story and I knew nothing about ice hockey before watching this. That was not a hindrance and this is a very well made movie.
All these small stories come together and show what winners are made of!

I intend to write about the third battle of Panipat that defined the present day India in my next article. I was really moved by the tragic and courageous story which also made me think of ifs... and buts..., a language history doesn't know.
Adios!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home